Research and First Impressions.



My decision for picking college one was because I wanted to be able to teach people about art and textiles. I felt like this area lacked in places like primary school and I wanted to show these students what art and textiles is really about. I wanted to open more opportunities for them and for them to see the reality of the art and textiles world. People see textiles and art as a non-academic subject; I wanted to avoid that idea and put across the view that the subject I am currently learning is amazing and has allowed me to broaden my skills and knowledge in many areas. Doing this is a way of bringing out their creative side and is different from their normal curriculum subjects.  So allowing me to attend and show these children what I do is a way for myself to understand what children are like, give me a taster on working as a teacher and how I would cope in such an environment. Thinking about future ambitions, I have always wanted to become a teacher and so this college fit perfectly in what I wanted to achieve.

There were a number of organisations that interested me such as START and Venture arts, where we were able to work with disabled and mental health patients. I felt like this was an area where I never imagined working in, so I was intrigued by it. From the lectures, I could tell the patients were very talented and on levels above me. I felt this was an area, which could educate me on illnesses that I have not come across, and it was a way for us to learn from each other. However, attending the lecture on the Northernden Primary School, I wanted to be able to open the doors of art and textiles from a younger age, so I decided to focus on this area.

Much advice was given in each lecture such as planning ahead, planning realistic aims for the weeks of what you want to teach and encouraging everyone to join in activities. Also to think about the age group you are working with and how to understand and speak to them. Equipment, materials and techniques used are very important aspect. This area was frequently discussed in lectures and workshops. For example: Disabled students may need longer period of time to complete their work and may require help. This depends on the type of organisation you are working with. 

The introductory session on the 11th march built our confidence up as we immediately had an ice breaking game with the group and got us interacting. The task we were given was to create a drawing on mug on what your partner was interested in. I felt this was such an exciting and fun way of getting to know someone, it breaks boundaries and tension. This may also be useful, as I could use this task in my environment. We were also given a tour of Stockport; coming to a new environment was daunting because of getting lost and not knowing where you’re going. I felt like this is related to entering the world of teaching, not knowing what’s going to happen, and where you’re going to end up. Will my mind change at the end of this project and where will I turn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.